Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
We are sorry to hear about your fire damage in your home, or office, of Northern Summit County. SERVPRO of Northern Summit County will take care of restoring your location in a timely manner. We are trained professionals and want you to know more about safety after a fire occurs. In the meantime, while we restore your location, there are certain things you can do until help arrives. We are sharing some of our best tips with you. Be careful after a fire damage; SERVPRO of Northern Summit County is here to help you restore your home or office in a timely manner.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (330) 650-4486
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.